From 1986-91 Thomas Preiss studied Chemistry at the Philipps-Universität, Marburg (Germany) and the University of Bristol (UK), followed by PhD work (1992-95) at the University of Newcastle upon Tyne (UK). He spent the next seven years (1995-2002) as a postdoctoral scientist at the European Molecular Biology Laboratories (EMBL), Heidelberg (Germany), in parallel also completing his Habilitation in Biochemistry [Permission to teach at the professorial level] at the Medical Faculty of the Universität Heidelberg (Germany). In 2002 he became a laboratory head at the Victor Chang Cardiac Research Institute in Sydney and held conjoint appointments at the University of New South Wales (Senior Lecturer, then Associate Professor). In 2011 he accepted a position as Professor of RNA Biology at ANU/JCSMR.
- Wagner S, Herrmannová A, Hronová V et al 2020 Selective Translation Complex Profiling Reveals Staged Initiation and Co-translational Assembly of Initiation Factor Complexes. Mol Cell, 79(4):546–560.e7
- Schumann U, Zhang HN, Sibbritt T et al 2020 Multiple links between 5-methylcytosine content of mRNA and translation. BMC Biol18:40
- Janin M, Ortiz-Barahona V, Castro de Moura M, et al 2019 Epigenetic Loss of Ribosomal RNA Methyltransferase NSUN5 in Glioma Drives a Stress Adaptive Translational Program. Acta Neuropathol, 2019; 135:601.
- Sen ND, Gupta N, Archer S, et al 2019 Functional interplay between DEAD-box RNA helicases Ded1 and Dbp1 in preinitiation complex attachment and scanning on structured mRNAs in vivo. Nucleic Acids Res ; 83:779.
- Ragan C, Goodall GJ, Shirokikh NE*, Preiss T*. 2019 Insights into the biogenesis and potential functions of exonic circular RNA. Sci Rep ; 9(1): 2048.
- Shirokikh NE, Dutikova J, Staroverova M, Hannan R, Preiss T. 2019 Migration of small ribosomal subunits on the 5' untranslated regions of capped messenger RNA Int J Mol Sci 20(18):4464.
- Bommer UA, Preiss T. Neue RNA-Moleküle und die Regulation der Genexpression auf Translationsebene. [New RNA molecules and regulation of gene expression at the level of translation.] BIOspektrum 2019; 25(3):350-351
- Janapala Y, Preiss T, ShirokikhN. 2019 Control of translation at the initiation phase during glucose starvation in yeast. Int J Mol Sci; 20(16):E4043.
- Swaminathan A, Harrison PA, Preiss T, Beilharz TH. 2019 PAT-Seq: A method for simultaneous quantitation of gene expression, poly(A)-site selection and poly(A)-length distribution in yeast transcriptomes. In: Oliver SG, Castrillo JI, eds. Methods Mol Biol
- Faunce, T, Ray, A, Gardiner, C et al 2018, 'Regulating RNA Research and CRISPR Gene Drives to Combat Biosecurity Threats', Journal of Law and Medicine, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 208-213.
Shirokikh NE, Archer SK, Beilharz TH, Powell D and Preiss T (2017) Translation complex profile sequencing to study the in vivo dynamics of mRNA-ribosome interactions during translation initiation, elongation and termination. Nature Protocols 12:697–731